Events > Sword Workshops with Floreo (Feb 3, 2013 10:30am - 3:30pm)
- Event: Sword Workshops with Floreo
- Date: Feb 3, 2013 10:30am - 3:30pm
- Location: Harmony Studios & Alternative Healing, 734 Aldebury Street, Suite #203
- Contact: Candace Sanchez (Phone: 250-858-0825)
- Price: See Details
Description:Fear Not the Sword
10:30 - 12:30
Do you have a sword but don't know what to do with it? Learn to incorporate sword work into your dance.
In this workshop you'll learn:
- Sword etiquette and anatomy, proper handling and care of your sword
- Graceful ways to introduce the sword to your audience
- Hand held combinations
- Balancing techniques
Solitary moves and cute combinations
1:30 - 3:30
Building on what was learned in level one, in this workshop you'll learn:
- making use of your whole dance space
- exciting ways to move within a group or on your own
- level changes and deeper movement while balanced
- Several of Floreo's signature combos
Bring With You:
- min of 1 yr of bellydance
- eagerness to learn
- balanced bellydance sword w/ no sharp edges or points if you have one, there will be a few to borrow
- head scarf or fabric head band to protect your hair
- knee pads (optional for some minor floorwork)
Cost per workshop is $40 or the whole day for $70
We will demonstrate tribal-style moves, but our material can be adapted for both Cabaret & Tribal style. bellydance.
Floreo is an I.T.S. (Improvised Tribal Style) Bellydance trio from Vancouver B.C. co-founded and co-directed by Audrey Schumacher, Helen Tennant and Allison Thompson in 2007. Floreo's roots are based in the ATS (R) vocabulary of Fat Chance Bellydance but have respectfully adapted the format into something all their own (often with swords!), making them on of Vancouver's most beloved dance troupes. Sometimes serious, sometimes lighthearted, but always entertaining, Floreo's dance style involves trust: the leader trusts the cues will make sense to the group, and the group trusts that the leader will cue clearly. Most of the time it works!
Allison, Audrey and Helen each have over ten years of belly dance experience studying on both a local and international level with many well respected and sought out belly dance instructors. In addition to performing, in 2012 Floreo started a series of popular Sword Workshops and have been teaching around the Lower Mainland.
Please contact Candace at www.haromnybellydance.com or email at email@example.com or call 250-858-0825